Saturday, November 17, 2007

Brasserie Beck visit, 11.10.07

1. Kasteel Donker (11.0% a.b.v., dark brown)
I thought this beer was powerfully sweet; sure, you could say it's rich and flavorful, but, at least without any aging, it's a bit too much for my tastes. I would say it's similar to, but not as good as, Piraat Ale or Gulden Draak, two other great Belgian strong ales. I don't think it would compare favorably to a good American barleywine either, like Old Crustacean. I wanted to like this beer, because it's made to age for more than 25 years. And I'm sure if it were aged a decade or more I would love it. But, fresh, it's so far short of the standard of strong ale, as exemplified by the British Thomas Hardy's Ale (one of my 10s), that I won't be ordering it again. 5/10.

2. Ename Tripel (?%, golden)
This is a medium weight Belgian tripel, tasty enough but not noteworthy, and not in the same league as the Malheur which I had on my first visit to BB, or other better-known members of the family. Worth trying if, like me, this is your single favorite style of beer; but otherwise, get the Malheur or a Trappist golden instead. This was the second beer that I ordered that was served to me in a generic BB glass. BB actually has a great selection of appropriate glasses, but I just happen to pick the oddballs. 6/10.

Taste: Petrus Oud Brune (5.0%, medium brown)
This is a sour Flemish Red Ale, like Rodenbach or Duchess de Bourgogne. Taste-wise, it's not as pungently sour as either of those. Rodenbach, in particular, tastes of vinegar, albeit damn tasty vinegar. Petrus Oud Brune is much more mellow and approachable from sip #1, and with a surprisingly long and spectacular finish. I'd say it's a little nutty if anything; Brasserie Beck's menu suggests cherries and oak, which I believe. This is probably my favorite of the Red Ale genre, though I'm also a huge fan of the Rodenbach Grand Cru; but I think this is more drinkable, even if slightly less interesting, and it's more likely to be appreciated by a wider audience. Petrus's Oak-aged Pale Ale is also quite good, IIRC. 9/10.

No comments: