Wednesday, November 21, 2007

The 10s - Part 1, Strong Ale

[The first of 4 posts about my "10"s, the one beer in each of my 4 favorite beer categories that I like above all others, from best to worst. Today: Strong Ale.]

Readers of this blog will suspect, correctly, that I generally prefer Belgian beer to the beer of other countries. I do enjoy other types of beer greatly - American microbrews of all types, German hefeweizens, English pale ales and stouts, even a good Czech pilsner every now and then. Mostly, though, I like Belgian ale in all its colors and scents and strengths.

But... if I were stranded on a desert island, and I could only bring one beer with me... well, actually, if it were a desert island, I'd probably prefer a lighter beer, something more water-like and thus refreshing, given the heat and sun and everything. Let's say I were to be stranded in a movie theater or something - alone, comfortably air conditioned, subsisting on popcorn and pretzels and Sour Skittles - and I could choose one and only one beer. I would choose the greatest of my four favorite beers - the English "Thomas Hardy's Ale".

Thomas Hardy's Ale is sometimes characterized as a barleywine, and I can sympathize with that, though I think it's more of a "strong ale" in the Belgian style. It's a bit sweet, heavy, and extraordinarily rich. Barleywines, popular in the winter, are heavily alcoholic (usually around 13%), and taste rich, sweet, raisin-y, and smoky. But Thomas Hardy's Ale is not as alcoholic as most barleywines - it's in the 11% range. It's also not quite as smoky, if I recall correctly. And the complexity is akin to a dark Belgian abbey style beer, like Chimay Grand Reserve.

This beer is supposed to be able to age well for 25 years. I haven't had one that old, but I have come fairly close. I was in Washington, DC in the fall of 2006 to interview for a job. I went for sushi in Dupont Circle with a good friend of mine who lived in the area, and then we went to Brickskeller, and I looked over their menu, and noticed that they had a few years of Thomas Hardy's Ale on the menu. Not trusting their printed menu, as I never do, I simply asked the waitress to bring me the oldest bottle of Thomas Hardy's that they had. She brought out a 1990, I cracked it open and poured it, and it remains, to this day, the greatest beer I have ever had.

[Oh, and, if you're curious, I got an offer for the job, and took it, and am very happy with it.]

No comments: